gmark - Re: [GMark] response to question about dating Mark

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: George Young <webber_young AT yahoo.com>
  • To: dhindley AT compuserve.com, Kata Markon <gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [GMark] response to question about dating Mark
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 18:21:07 -0700 (PDT)

Dear David:

Methodology is important, isn’t it? It seems
appropriate, therefore, to ask: What is the aim of
one’s methodology? My methodology is geared towards
the pursuit of truth. In other words, this is the aim
of my historical critical approach. Moreover, I try
to keep it as simple as possible. As for PROGRAFW
meaning "graphically portrayed," this is hard for me
to understand.

However, there are many reasons *besides* simply the
appearance of PROGRAFW in Galatians, that support the
notion that Paul is referring to a *written
document.* For example, at several points in the NT
the WORD is referred to as "being carried," as "being
sent," Paul himself states that the WORD was "placed
in his hands." This WORD is, of course, "the Word of
the Cross." And this is very probably the *original
title* to the Gospel of Mark. Even Luke states that,
besides using eye-witnesses as sources, he also drew
upon "stewards of the WORD", i.e., those who delivered
or handled written documents.

You are correct to say that questioning a document
does not necessarily imply "conspiracy." However,
questioning the authenticity of an historical document
without any reasonable basis, this might be the
beginning of a conspiracy. David, if one maintains
that Mark is the Gospel Paul is referring to in Gal.
3:1-2, are you familiar with the implications to this
assertion? What Paul is saying is that he believes
the Gospel of Mark more than what his physical eyes
and ears have told him about the Jerusalem church.
This is why he can speak of the Galatians as being
"bewitched." And by this he means that there is an
*extreme discord* between what he reads in the Gospel
and what he sees and hears in Jerusalem. It is also
why he twice warns that "even if an angel from heaven
preaches another gospel, let him be cursed." However,
looking back to Mark, it also gives us an insight into
the mind-bending experience of Jesus Christ. Hence,
we begin to understand what Mark means when he says
that Jesus’ words "strike" the people, his words makes
them "stand outside themselves," and so forth. There
are also implications with respect to the other
Epistles, often labeled "pseudonymous" in the NT.
But scholars need to be willing to move closer to the
event in order to get these insights. That’s why, I
find 70 AD…well.. rather boring after awhile.

Sincerely,

Webber Young.