gmark - [GMark] characterization of the disciples suggests un-Judaizing intent, possible strong connection to Paul. Would value discussion.

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Tanna Brodbar" <tbrodbar AT gmail.com>
  • To: gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [GMark] characterization of the disciples suggests un-Judaizing intent, possible strong connection to Paul. Would value discussion.
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 23:18:05 -0400

I'm new to this forum.  I'm not sure how specific I should get here but would welcome an opportunity to engage in discussion on this forum and also to get your feedback and insights.   Please let me know if this is too specific (or not specific enough!) for the intent of Kata Markon.

I am conducting an analysis of Mark's characterization of the disciples. When the text is read as a whole using a literary-historical approach it seems that Mark is using the disciples to communicate a strong anti-Judaistic message.  Additionally, the text seems to centre on three themes:

1.      Mark emphasizes the importance of faith over Law

2.      Mark presents compelling arguments on the need to move away from laws/traditions of Judaism

3.      Intimations that suggest Mark espouses Paul's ministry over and above the Jerusalem Church – this appears to be a significant objective of Mark's work

Interestingly, the tripartite theme appears to be closely aligned to the issues being addressed in Paul's Galatians.   An analysis of Galatians (also considering the possible intent of Romans and where the two fit in Paul's career), overlaid with my observations of a possible intent of Mark's Gospel, leads me to consider that Mark and Paul (in Galatians) may have shared the same authorial objectives.   I'd value a discussion on the possibilities that:

  1. Mark's efforts were undertaken primarily in support of Paul's mission and to counteract the threat to Paul's authority that was being posed by Christian Judaizers;
  2. Mark's characterization of the disciples (in all its complexity) ultimately indicates he is using them as tools to 'un-Judaize' his audience (perhaps 'de-Judaize' would be more appropriate?) and that all other characters are subordinate to the disciples in this objective;
  3. The urgent call to action in Galatians is met by a comparable sense of urgency - of the same themes - by Mark;
  4. If the above hypotheses are correct, where might this take one in suggesting a date for the composition of the Gospel?

Let me know if you'd like specifics from my analysis.  Your questions, insights are welcome.

Tanna Brodbar
Toronto
Recent graduate of the Humanities grad program, York University