gmark - [GMark] seeking help and advice on PhD studies in Mark

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Siang Nuan Leong" <faithlsn AT hotmail.com>
  • To: gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [GMark] seeking help and advice on PhD studies in Mark
  • Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 11:46:53 +0000

Dear Markan scholars,

Since the completion of my Th.M. thesis on Mark I have very much a burden in me to develop my findings in the Th.M. thesis further. I hope that I can make some significant contributions to the study of Mark in particular, and to the Gospels in general, as I feel that I have hit on some important considerations in the functioning of the historic present in Mark, with direct implications to the understanding of the focal message of Mark. From my observation of the Markan text, the episode-initial historic presents function predominantly to organize the gospel narrative into segments and hierarchical arrangements, whereas the mid-episodic historic presents highlight subtle semantic interrelationships that are intended by the author to focus the reader/audience on main message of the gospel. Both kinds of historic presents though working differently ultimately fulfill the single semantic function of pointing the reader/audience to what the author is getting at through the narrative. I will be attempting to condense what I have learnt from my Th.M. thesis and present it in the SBL International meeting in Singapore (26 June - 1 July 2005).

For some time now, I have been trying to find a suitable place of study and a PhD supervisor who is interested in what I am doing and who can help me develop my understanding of the gospel of Mark, and perhaps that of the other gospels, further. The understanding of the function of the historic present in Mark with its ultimate semantic role, has led me away from the technicalities of the historic present into the overwhelming narrative of Mark, which is seen to have a strong polemical message delivered in a subtle and hidden manner. The polemic message of Mark attacks the exclusive concept of religion held by the Jewish religious leaders, and even by Jesus' own disciples, which hinders others from entering the kingdom of God. The message of Mark speaks for the universal nature of the good news to the outcast and those deemed "unclean" from the perspective of the elitist Jewish leaders. What has surfaced through the reading of Mark are the cutting satirical elements aimed at Jesus' adversaries -- elements that would make the knowing reader laugh and the ones attacked seeth with rage (just that I wonder how many of Jesus' adversaries understood that Mark was referring to them).

My understanding of Mark stems from a more text-based approach that pays attention to the interrelationships between the various parts of the whole narrative. Currently, I am very lacking in the areas of the historical and social approaches, as my previous training was not too geared towards those areas. Even so there are sufficient elements in the text to guide the careful reader into the above reading, together with the hints afforded by the historic presents.

If the above understanding of Mark can be established there could be serious implications on our way of reading the other gospels as well.

I write to you scholars who have been in the scholarship world of Mark for some (or a long) time with the hope that you can give me some advice on the business of pursuing a Ph.D. course geared at developing the above thesis. I would appreciate information on prospective schools, supervisors and scholarships available for the task, for I am in "labor-pains" in trying to give birth a concept that has been in my heart since my Th.M. studies but perhaps with certain time constraints to complete the task.

Thank you for any kind of help and advice you can render me.

Yours sincerely,
Siang Nuan Leong
Singapore Bible College

Find just what you are after with the more precise, more powerful new MSN Search. http://search.msn.com.sg/ Try it now.

  • [GMark] seeking help and advice on PhD studies in Mark, Siang Nuan Leong, 04/17/2005