gmark - AW: [GMark] The Markan Sanhedrin's view of God

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "gudrun guttenberger" <info AT gu-gu.de>
  • To: "'Kata Markon'" <gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: AW: [GMark] The Markan Sanhedrin's view of God
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 08:56:15 +0200

In my opinion the centre of the Markan Sanhedrin's view of God is that
God is one; the members of the Synhedrium think Jesus' claim means a
violation of the First Commandment. This is what they mean with
blasphemy (Mark 14:63; cf. Mark 2:7). This is the thesis of the paper I
will give at the annual sbl meeting in Atlanta on Sunday.
The ideas of election or of particularism (is it the same as the german
word Partikularismus?) is in conflict with Mark's view of God. For Mark
God is the Emperor of the whole universe as you can see especially from
his concept of tora: Tora is based on creation not on election (cf. eg.
Mark 10:6). Mark's God is as close to Jews as to pagans (Cf. Mark
11:17b). Language of election is very poor in Mark. But I do not see any
hints that the opponents emphazise the idea of Israel as elected.
Perhaps you will be interested in my study about God in Mark that will
be published soon (- in German).
Greetings, Gudrun Guttenberger

********************************
Prof. Dr. Gudrun Guttenberger
Evangelische Fachhochschule
Fachbereich Religionspädagogik und Diakonie
Blumhardtstr. 2
30625 Hannover
0511 5310 178
Guttenberger AT efh-hannover.de