gmark - Re: gmark digest: October 26, 2002

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Ted Weeden" <weedent AT earthreach.com>
  • To: "Kata Markon" <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: gmark digest: October 26, 2002
  • Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 17:19:00 -0600

Susan Hunnicut wrote on October 27, 2002:

I have been checking in on this conversation on and off since Mr. Gibson posted his paper, which I thought was quite interesting.

(snip)

The question I would like to ask is this:  Why is Mr. Alward dominating this discussion?

(snip)

I am horrified by the lack of respect he has shown in this discussion.  I am horrified that he is allowed to continue to do this.

(snip)
There are issues in this gospel that I think are quite relevant to my life and the lives of other people, and they are not being discussed on this list.

(snip)

There are issues in this gospel that I think are quite relevant to my life and the lives of other people, and they are not being discussed on this list.

(snip)

I don't think Mr. Gibson should spend anymore time in this conversation if others do not step in.  It is a waste of his time.
Susan, I did send an off-list post to Jeffrey Gibson on Wednesday, Octorber 23, in which I indicated to Jeffrey that what I perceived as sparring between Joe Alward and another member of this list (not Jeffrey), in my opinion, had reached its list-pertinent course and that I saw nothing but an impasse at that point in time.   I suggested that the the sparring be ended, but did not think that Jeffrey should himself call an end to the discussion, since it was his thesis that was being debated.   As you are now probably aware, Eric Eve intervened off-list with Joe Alward, and Joe subsequently resigned from the Kata Markon e-group, per Brian Boland's post of  today.

I have not personally been engaged in the present discussion of Jeffrey's paper, as I posted my own lengthy essay, "Sleeping Disciples-Apostasy in Gethsemane," on Kata Markon (June 12, 2002) when Jeffrey first introduced his paper to Kata Markon on May 29, 2002 via http://groups.yahoo.com/group/crosstalk2/files/Articles%20for%20Review/Mk%2014.38.htm.    In my response, I dealt with not only hermeneutical issues regarding the text, but also existential/theological and "spiritual" issues which were, in my interpretation of the text, critical to Mark's community, as well as, I think, people today.   My essay did then address, in my judgment, matters which you indicate have, from your perspective, not been dealt with in the present discussion..

Since I had already posted my response to Jeffrey's thesis in June, I assumed that Kata Markon participants were already aware of my own interpretation of Mk. 14:38 in the context of Mk. 14: 32-32  vis-a-vis Jeffrey's thesis.  So I saw no need in posting again my 25-page response again.   I have read Jeffrey's revision of his paper and offered him comments off-list.   I am glad that Jeffrey, as I have observed, has received significant, balanced feedback from many on this list and hope that that feedback has been helpful to him as he prepares to read his paper at the SBL in Toronto.

Ted Weeden