gmark - Re: The object of PEIRASMOS in Mark 14:38

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT attbi.com>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The object of PEIRASMOS in Mark 14:38
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 16:52:22 -0500

Eric Eve wrote:

> Of course this alternative proposal is not nearly so well thought through as
> Jeffrey's reading, but I thought I'd float it to see if anyone thinks it has
> any merit - or to give people something to shoot down!

You might wish to know that the reading you are suggesting was previously
advanced by Loisy (_L'Évangile selon Marc_ [Paris: E. Nourry, 1912], p. 415)
and
was revived by J. Hering (`Zwei exegetische Probleme in der Perikope von
Jesus in
Gethsemane" in _Neotestamentica and Patristica: Eine Freundesgabe, Hernn
Professor Dr. Oscar Cullmann zu seinem 60. Geburtstag uberreicht_ [Leiden:
Brill,
1962], pp. 64-69, esp. pp. 64-65).

Both think that that originally Jesus told his disciples, "Pray that I do not
enter into peirasmos," and that the "I" was dropped because of scandal the
idea
of Jesus asking for prayer for himself.

Brown, in his DoM, rejects this by noting that "There is no textual support
for
this theory; there is no other example of Jesus asking his disciples to pray
for
him; and the whole idea is unnecessary" (p. 161, n. 17):

Yours,

Jeffrey

--
Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)