gmark - Re: Mark 14:38 as a Key to the Markan Audience

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: JFAlward AT aol.com
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Mark 14:38 as a Key to the Markan Audience
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 17:15:05 EDT

In a message dated 10/15/02 10:39:41 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
jgibson000 AT attbi.com writes:

I've selected a paragraph at random for comment:

First, one of the major themes of Mark's portrayal of the disciples is how,
from the time of their calling until they abandon Jesus at Gethsemane, they
are drawn increasingly to side with others in Mark's cast of characters who,
according to Mark, continually "test God". This is apparent in the fact that
in such stories as (a) the Rebuke of the Disciples about Bread (Mk 8:14-21 -
in which the disciples are by castigated by Jesus for having become infected
with the "leaven of the Pharisees and of Herod", for having "hardened hearts"
and a culpable lack of "understanding" and "perception", and for stubbornly
refusing to "see", "hear" and "remember"), (b) Peter's confession at Caesarea
Philippi (Mk. 8:27-33 -- in which Jesus rebukes Peter and the disciples for
"thinking the things of men"), and (c) the Dispute about Greatness (Mk.
9:33-37) as well as in (d) the Request of James and John (Mk. 10:35-45 -- in
which the disciples reveal their desire to be hOI DOUKOUNTES ARXEIN TWN EQNWN
and hOI MEGALOI), the disciples, according to Mark, are showing themselves as
becoming increasingly aligned with those whom Jesus has labeled members of
the "wilderness generation".

There is an extra "by" the sentence containing "....by castigated by..."
Also, I note that you place the period and comma *outside* the quotation
mark. I believe that it is standard practice to put them inside the
quotation mark. Perhaps SBL has a different practice?

These are small matters.

Joseph F. Alward, PhD
Assistant Professor
Department of Physics