gmark - Re: Mark 7

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Steve Black <sblack AT axionet.com>
  • To: "Kata Markon" <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Mark 7
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 11:30:12 -0700

Steve Black a écrit :

Mark 7:3-4 (NRSV)
(For the Pharisees, and all the Jews, do not eat unless they
thoroughly wash their hands, thus observing the tradition of the
elders; and they do not eat anything from the market unless they wash
it; and there are also many other traditions that they observe, the
washing of cups, pots, and bronze kettles.)

I have gotten a lot of personal mileage from this text, and I want to
examine my thoughts in light of what others might think.

Why not a later gloss ? Is it not the common opinion on this precision ?

This is good - it does have a distinct "gloss quality" to it. (Even
so - the presence of glosses often remains nothing more then a
*possibility* where there is no supporting textual evidence.)

My theory of Mark's attitude towards "Judaism" is also built upon the
"good" scribe in 12:28ff. It is instructive to see how this story
could not remain unchanged in the hands of Matthew. There is a battle
with the Synagogue (or perhaps, as I suggested earlier, there *was* a
battle in the earlier layers of the tradition) in Mark, but not one
that is as "ugly" as in Matt where the idea of suggesting that there
could be some good in one's opponent was unthinkable. Mark seems to
want to warn his Xn readers against too complete a vilification of
the "enemy" with the story of the good scribe. Matt has no problem
with such a complete vilification.

--
Steve Black
Vancouver School of Theology

Once in a while you can get shown the light
in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

-Robert Hunter From SCARLET BEGONIAS

  • Mark 7, Steve Black, 07/19/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Mark 7, Emmanuel Fritsch, 07/19/2002
    • Re: Mark 7, Steve Black, 07/19/2002