gmark - Re: gmark digest: May 28, 2002

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Earl Kellett <ekellett AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: gmark digest: May 28, 2002
  • Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 17:19:37 -0500

From: Earl Kellett
Date: 5/29/02
RE: Holy Week celebration in the Byzantine Liturgy
One possible way of supporting or rejecting the theory is the liturgical
practices of the early church. The Byzantine Synaxarion lectionary contains
readings / lessons from Matthew (Mt 21:18-43 for morning prayer and Mt
24:3-35 for evening prayer for Monday; Mt 22:15-24:2 for Tues morning and Mt
24:36-26:2 for Tues evening; Jn 12:17-50 for Wed; Lk 22:1-39 for Thurs; Jn
13:1-11, 12-17 for Friday of Holy Week. These passages are recorded in both
lectionaryy manuscripts and in some non-lectionary manuscripts. Consult C.R.
Gregory's Textkritik des Neuen Testaments for a complete list of the
liturgical cycles. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Earl Kellett
Ph.D. Student New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary
Research Assistant in the Center for New testament Textual Studies

  • Re: gmark digest: May 28, 2002, Earl Kellett, 05/29/2002