gmark - Holy Week

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Steve Black <sblack AT axionet.com>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Holy Week
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 06:57:10 -0700

I was having a discussion recently with someone regarding the theory that the last seven days of Jesus' life in GMark is a condensed version of what originally took much longer than seven days. This was accomplished to harmonize it with the ancient practise of celebrating holy week in the early church. In other words, Mark changed the story of Jesus' last days from a longer time period to a week to support the celebration of holy week in his community.

I am not sure where I heard this theory, but it seems plausible enough to me. It seems to me to be like most such theories - not something that will likely ever pass out of the realm of mere possibility, but still, it is attractive. In any event, my friend assured me that this theory has been thoroughly "discredited". This puzzled me at the time, but I didn't explore what he meant. How would such a theory be "discredited" (or proven for that matter) without the discovery of some new relevant manuscript or something. I am curious as to the nature of the scholarly discussion surrounding this issue, and was wondering if any one in this list might shed some light on the matter.
--
Steve Black
Vancouver School of Theology

Once in a while you can get shown the light
in the strangest of places in you look at it right...

-Robert Hunter From SCARLET BEGONIAS

  • Holy Week, Steve Black, 05/28/2002