gmark - Re: stilling the storm again

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Ralph Cox" <rmiltonc AT hotmail.com>
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: stilling the storm again
  • Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 17:42:31 -0800

Re: [gmark] stilling the storm again

There are a few parallels in Rabbinic and classical sources of a Stilling the Storm motif. We don't have to limit ourselves to O.T. passages or insist that our writer is constructing from influences of scripture.  The oral tradition is most likely the source.  To answer how these miraculous stories became part of the ministry of the "Super-apostles" requires us to first look at how such things appeared in other ancient reports. Josephus and Tacitus both write of supernatural sightings prior to the destruction of Jerusalem, some of which resemble the Apocalypse, where heavenly armies are seen, an animal giving birth to the wrong species, giant gates swinging by some invisible force, ghostly voices and so forth, and Josephus has a Jesus predicting the fall complete with "woes".  Now perhaps Tacitus depends on Josephus, but Josephus clearly states these things were reliable reports. What do we do with them? What do we say about Josephus trusting in them?  (I have never heard anyone say that he was the originator of these tales.) Once we have answered just this example, we can proceed with the NT miracles, because we will have established a method.  New Testament researches do the worst by treating the writings as some special category.  Whatever happened to Ockham's Razor?