gmark - Re: Criticism of moderator (was: Re: gmark digest: December26,2...

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: JFAlward AT aol.com
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Criticism of moderator (was: Re: gmark digest: December26,2...
  • Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 19:59:13 EST

Let me try to put things in focus.

Someone on this list was unnecessarily impolite to a newcomer, telling him in
effect that he should ask to be excused for his presumptuousness. I felt
that the offended party should know that at least *one* other forum member
disapproved of the other's attitude. I had hoped that my public post would
encourage others to likewise affirm their disapproval, especially the
moderator.

My hopes were in vain.

When the moderator spoke on this matter, he gave no hint to the forum that he
disapproved, and he made matters worse by suggesting that the request for
references was of the type one would expect from a beginner. For this, I
criticized the moderator, and the attention was quickly shifted away from the
slap at Prof. Justnes to my criticisms. This is a red herring, I believe.

It seems that first things should come first. First, the offender should
publicly apologize for his impertinence, and then the moderator should
apologize for seeming to foster an elitist attitude and for seeming not to
object to what the graduate student said. After that's done, perhaps then
members can then take up the matter of whether my criticisms of the moderator
were justified.

Or, we can just drop the whole matter right here.