gmark - Criticism of moderator (was: Re: gmark digest: December 26, 2001)

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Tony Prete <tonyprete AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Kata Markon" <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Criticism of moderator (was: Re: gmark digest: December 26, 2001)
  • Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 00:12:18 -0500

At 10:47 PM 12/28/2001, JFAlward wrote:

Stating that you believe that the professor's request was inappropriate is
equivalent to saying that forum members' helpful responses to it are likewise
inappropriate, which is a slap to their faces.  I think this is an
unnecessarily oppressive intervention, and is insulting to some forum
members, and it's not the first time you treated them with condescension.  It
is your list to do with as you please; from my point of view, however, you've
done very little with it.  By my count, this forum has average only about
five or six posts a month.  Perhaps if you fostered a more friendly, more
inclusive, less-elitist attitude on the part of forum members, you might find
that both the quality and quantity of the Kata Markan posts will increase.

This kind of personal attack is inappropriate on the list; it should have been made off-list (as was my response to Alward's criticism of me). But since it was made publicly, let me respond in kind.

Alward is free to draw any conclusions he wants regarding how the list is maintained--including the assumption that the quality of the posts has deteriorated (talk about a slap in the face to forum members). But his one piece of factual information, that the forum has averaged "only about five or six posts a month," is grossly inaccurate, thus negating his conclusions regarding the impact of the moderator's "attitude."

Let me be specific. Forum posts began in February, and as of Nov. 30 they totalled 248. That's almost twenty-five a month over the ten-month period, not five or six. Of that 248, Alward's posts account for 49--which means that by his calculation "this forum has average [sic] only about" one other post a month. [Wait, now I get it: The forum is going to the dogs because Alward is posting about five times a month!)

Of course, none of this has anything to do with a scholarly interchange on the Gospel of Mark--which is why I will stop here.

Anthony Prete
212 Marne Avenue
Haddonfield, NJ 08033
856-428-1203

  • Criticism of moderator (was: Re: gmark digest: December 26, 2001), Tony Prete, 12/29/2001