gmark - Re: gmark digest: December 26, 2001

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: JFAlward AT aol.com
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: gmark digest: December 26, 2001
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 16:34:28 EST

In a message dated 12/27/01 12:48:53 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tonyprete AT earthlink.net writes:

<< What I think does necessitate an "excuse me" is a post that announces a
topic, then asks for references (such as the one below that started this
thread--though it's hardly the first). Isn't that what libraries--and
librarians--and for? Special circumstances may necessitate otherwise, but
authors should state this, rather than appear to be asking others to do
their research for them.

> > one of my former students is now writing a thesis on the literary =
> > funtion of the parables in the gospel of mark. are you aware of books or
=
> > articles that may be helpful for her?

==========
My goodness; such selfishness I've not seen in a long time. Are we now not
allowed to ask for help on this forum? It's one thing to ask someone to--for
example--locate all of the Old Testament antecedents of a gospel story, and
another thing altogether to make a simple request for references that might
come immediately to the minds of helpful correspondents. This forum is--in
part--about helping others, or have I had the wrong impression all along?

Joseph F. Alward, PhD
Assistant Professor
Department of Physics
University of the Pacific