gmark - Re: Transfiguration/Resurrection

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: JFAlward AT aol.com
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Transfiguration/Resurrection
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 15:04:23 EDT

In a message dated 8/25/01 5:21:39 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
eugor3 AT hotmail.com writes:

<< Joe,

I will have to toss my hat in the ring with Dennis on this one. First of all
the secrecy motif in the Odyssey is far more involved than a single incident
i.e. the rejuvenation of Odysseus. It is clear that Odysseus intends to
remain incognito from the moment he wakes up on Ithaca. And like Jesus there
are points when people seem to be obtuse like the disciples in Mark. For
example the archery contest, where Odysseus strings the bow and shoots
through the ax handles. One would expect that someone would have taking the
clue that this was indeed the Master of the house come home. >>
The disciples indeed seemed clueless and incapable of recognizing Jesus'
divinity, even after witnessing Jesus do things that only a god could do.
However, unless you can show me where Homer gave the residents of Ithaca
reason to believe that Odysseus would return with god-like powers, I'll be
inclined to believe that the secrecy motifs are just coincidental.

Regards,

Joe Alward
(Several articles on Mark's alleged dependency on Homer are found at
http://members.aol.com/jalw/joseph_alward.html)