gmark - Re: MEN...DE and Markan Priority, Matthean Dependence

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Jack Kilmon" <jkilmon AT historian.net>
  • To: "Kata Markon" <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: MEN...DE and Markan Priority, Matthean Dependence
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 20:28:09 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ted Weeden" <weedent AT atw.earthreach.com>
To: "Kata Markon" <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Sunday, June 24, 2001 5:45 PM

>I noted also that it
> was not unusual for Luke in Acts to use the particle MEN without DE. So
> the fact that Luke follows the Markan suit of using MEN without DE in this
> particular passage in the Parable of the Sower should not lead one to the
> judgment that this stylistic anomaly is "unLukan."
>
> What is surprising, as I have also pointed out, is that--- if Luke was
> dependent upon Matthew --- he did not follow Matthew in appropriating the
> Matthean MEN...DE construction when he found it in the parable in its two
> Matthean textual locations (Mt. 13:4f., 8). It is particularly
> surprising --- if again Luke was independent upon Matthew --- that Luke
in
> 8:15 would have chosen only to appropriate the particle MEN from Matthew,
> rather than the entire Matthean adversative, correlative conjunction from
> Mt. 13:8, given his preference for the MEN...DE construction in Acts,
which
> far exceeds, in number of occurrences, his use of the particle MEN without
> DE (see above).

Ted, I find this fascinating and will take a few days to digest it
thoroughly. One
thing comes to my mind that may or may not be significant regarding the
character
of classical vs Koine Greek. This is the tendency for Koine to be a patois
in
various parts of the Greek speaking world even to the point of being
"pidgin" Greek.
Somewhere in the last 4 decades or so I recall reading that the use of MEN
by itself,
on occasion, left DE unexpressed and understood, something I would not
expect
in a more "literate" Greek. How would this impact the Lukan usage vs the
Matthean?

Jack

-----

Dakma dabadton l'chad min haleyn achi zoreh li hav abadton

Jack Kilmon
San Marcos, Tx
jkilmon AT historian.net

http://www.historian.net