gmark - Re: John has been raised

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT home.com>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: John has been raised
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 10:09:01 -0500

Steve Black wrote:

> Based on Mark 6:14-16, it seems likely there was a tradition (among J
> the B's followers?) that believed the J the B had been resurrected
> after his execution.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Does any one know of any books, or what have you, that have explored
> this idea at all?
>
> Mark 6:14-16
> King Herod heard of it; for Jesus' name had become known. Some said,
> "John the baptizer has been raised from the dead; that is why these
> powers are at work in him." But others said, "It is Elijah." And
> others said, "It is a prophet, like one of the prophets of old." But
> when Herod heard of it he said, "John, whom I beheaded, has been
> raised."

In the chapter on the "Divorce Question 'Temptation'" in my _Temptations of
Jesus_ I argued that the phrase in question is not meant to be taken
literally,
but rather is an expression whose meaning is "John the Baptizer all over
again".
That is to say, what Herod is saying when he uses the expression is not that
he
actually believes that John has been raised, but that he sees in Jesus another
troublemaker like John.

Now if this is the case, it would seem to mitigate against any tradition of
John
having been actually resurrected.

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson

--
Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A

  • John has been raised, Steve Black, 05/29/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: John has been raised, Jeffrey B. Gibson, 05/29/2001