gmark - Off with Their Ears

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: JFAlward AT aol.com
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Off with Their Ears
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 16:31:41 EST

In a message dated 3/17/01 12:30:26 PM Pacific Standard Time,
sblack AT axionet.com writes:

Perhaps the sword wielding follower in 14:47 is meant to be held
together in comparison with the fleeing naked young man of 14:51.

==============
I think that without some controls, speculation will run rampant and nothing
of consequence will be accomplished. Mark made extensive use of the Old
Testament in creating his stories about Jesus, as has been demonstrated
repeatedly on this list. I suggest that before we start guessing about why
Mark had the servant's ear cut off, we should first thoroughly search the Old
Testament for the allusion Mark might have been intending. In this case,
Mark appears to be using Ezekiel:

"I will direct my jealous anger against you, and they will deal with you in
fury. They will cut off your noses and your ears.." (Ezekiel 23:25)

Regards,

Joe Alward