gmark - Re: Judas and Jesus

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: JFAlward AT aol.com
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Judas and Jesus
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 16:47:27 EST

In a message dated 3/14/01 12:18:15 PM Pacific Standard Time,
weedent AT atw.earthreach.com writes:

<snip 3674 words>
<< In a subsequent post(s?), I plan to suggest the sources from which Mark
drew the sword motif and the cutting off of the ear of the high priest's
slave, why I do not think, contra to your suggestion, that a member of the
priesthood was among the arresting party in Gethsemane, why it was important
for Mark to disassociate Jesus from banditry (Mk. 14:48f.), as well as to
suggest the scriptural sources for Mark's "forsaking" motif (14:50). >>
==============

Ted Weeden's 3700 word response to my comment about Absalom's kisses
illustrates a point I've tried to make before: The more complicated an
explanation, the less likely it is to be the correct one. Ted has to work
far too hard to make his case the Judas kiss was modeled after Absalom's
kisses. How likely is it that Mark's readers believed that his readers would
analyze and understand 2 Samuel the way Ted does?

I believe that the more likely reason for Mark's having a Judas kiss Jesus is
that he wanted to remind his readers of Proverbs and Isaiah:

The Lord says: "These people come near to me with their mouth and honor me
with their lips, but their hearts are far from me." (Isaiah 29:13)

Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses.
(Proverbs 27:6)

These verses are short, and easy to remember, and they're far more likely
than Ted's 2 Samuel stories to be the ones Mark thought his readers would
recall.

Other than this disagreement, there is much in Ted's analysis with which I
agree. We both agree that Mark's betrayal and arrest story is probably
fictional, and that's the most important thing, by far, in my opinion.

My analysis of the betrayal and arrest are at
http://sol.sci.uop.edu/~jfalward/David_and_Jesus.htm

Now, on another matter. Ted says he's going to explain the ear being cut
off. I tried to do the same thing, but decided my idea was too flaky. I
hope it's not the one Ted has in mind: David snipped off a bit of Saul's
robe, just as Jesus' disciple took off the servant's ear?

Regards,

Joe Alward