gmark - Mk & "History"

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Steve Black <sblack AT axionet.com>
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Mk & "History"
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 00:09:49 -0800

Title: Mk & "History"
At 12:00 AM -0500 3/2/01, Joe Alward  wrote:
I think there is strong evidence that almost all of the betrayal and arrest
<BR>story was taken from the Old Testament. &nbsp;Consider this one example: &nbsp;Jesus
<BR>went off alone to pray at Gethsemane, leaving the others behind to keep
<BR>watch. &nbsp;How did Mark know what Jesus said to the Lord? Mark doesn't tell us
<BR>that God told him, nor does he tell us that Jesus told him later what his
<BR>private prayers to God were. &nbsp;Is it not fair to assume that Mark "knew" what
<BR>Jesus said because he took David's prayer and put in the mouth of Jesus
<BR>himself? &nbsp;

It seems obvious to me that there is creative activity in all the biblical  materials - and of course that includes Mark! That doesn't settle the questions of historicity or non-historicity, rather it simply defines the issues. Ancient humans told story to understand. "Fiction" and "history (as we know it) as genres both were still a good millennia and a half (or more) away. Because a story shows signs of embellishments doesn't prove that it is entirely fictive! (The six and a half foot long fish may have only been eleven inches in  reality - but it was nonetheless a real fish!)

I think we fool ourselves if we believe that our own telling of history actually happened as we tell it. There will always be a gap between what we can evoke imaginatively in story (or in dry facts - if we insist) and what actually happened. What actually happened is forever gone with a sounding finality - but the story has itself entered history - and remains.