gmark - Re: gmark digest: February 28, 2001

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Karel Hanhart <K.Hanhart AT net.HCC.nl>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: gmark digest: February 28, 2001
  • Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 16:20:21 +0100

Due to Josephus' near silence on the origins and development of the Jesus'
movement, we know very little of the 'Jesus of history'. It appears to be
beyond
doubt, however, that Jesus lived and taught and was called Messiah and was
crucified. The crucifixion implies that at some time he was arrested and
tried.
A so-called cleasing-of-the-temple incident must have led Pilate to order the
crucifixion as if Jesus had instigated a sedition. But it is unlikely that the
'cleansing' took place during the season of Pesach.. Judean governmental
leaders
may well have falsely accused Jesus of sedition on the grounds of the temple
incident. We are less certain, however, that the arrest took place on the
Mount
of Olives. However there are also no grounds to deny that it occurred there.
I have already indicated in earlier contributions why I believe Mark
wrote a
revised pre-70 Passover haggadah and that Mark's gospel should be deciphered
with the help of midrash next to the more established methods of
interpretation.
The work of Montefiore, Bowman, Daube, Safrai and others led me to that
conclusion.

Karel Hanhart