gmark - mark and genesis

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Charlotte Faber & Dick Koomans <digimuz AT xs4all.nl>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: mark and genesis
  • Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 09:32:15 +0100

===============
I would like to see that argument, if you have time to present it.

Joe Alward

Dear Joe Alward and others,

I am still working on a paper to present this idea in a form that is
clear enough to support my hypothesis, namely that Mark is more a
liturgical text than a narrative. (So indeed about discipleship).
This also, to my mind, will give a possible explanation for the way he
uses time in his text.
But in searching and researching, I have found so much material, that it
may turn out to become not a paper, but a PhD.
And the titles Larry Hurtado mentioned are added to my reading list as
well - thank you Mr. Hurtado.
Thinking about it all. I get the impression that Dennis MacDonald really
has found something of importance, but perhaps - I shall read the book -
cause and effect are not seen in the right order yet. The themes of
order (of the world and of the family), salvation, death and the Way
(home?) are older than one culture, although the wordings are culturally
defined.
After all, Homer so to speak, made the Greek religion, as the Torah made
the Jewish and the NT the Christian.

On the other hand, I think the case for Acts and Homer, as I found in
Dennis MacDonald's article about Paul's shipwreck is very strong. This
would also explain why I found echos, of what I thought was Acts in - of
all books - the Satyricon. But there is an interesting treasure trove
there, isn't it?

And from my own nautical past: We always tell a good yarn in the first
person plural. Ask any sailor.

With regards,

Charlotte Faber

  • mark and genesis, Charlotte Faber & Dick Koomans, 02/02/2001