gmark - Matthew's Virgin-Birth Prophecy Fulfillment

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: JFAlward AT aol.com
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Matthew's Virgin-Birth Prophecy Fulfillment
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 13:56:05 EST

In a message dated 1/22/01 6:05:42 AM Pacific Standard Time,
rwatts AT interchange.ubc.ca writes:

<<
PS I notice on your web-page you comment on Isa 7.14 as a false prophecy.
You might be interested in a paper I wrote for SBL on Matthew¹s intention
here. I agree that this is not a ³prophecy² in the sense most use the
term‹and I think Matthew would too. We have our own ideas of what
fulfillment means. On the other hand, it¹s possible that Matthew doesn¹t
use ³fulfillment² the way we do and means something different. I think the
latter makes the best sense of the data, not only here, but in several other
places as well.

Rikk >>
==========

(I've renamed this thread; it's parent is "The Homeric Epics and the Gospel
of Mark". I'll respond to questions about the failure of church fathers to
recognize Mark's parallels in another post.)

(The virgin-birth article Rikk is referring to is at
http://members.aol.com/JAlw/virgin_birth_prophecy.html)

I can't comment until I know more about your position. Please provide the
link to the article to which you refer and I'd be happy to discuss this
further with you.

Joe Alward

  • Matthew's Virgin-Birth Prophecy Fulfillment, JFAlward, 01/22/2001