gmark - Chapter 13 (more?!?...)

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Steve Black <sblack AT axionet.com>
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Chapter 13 (more?!?...)
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 08:27:06 -0800

Title: Chapter 13 (more?!?...)
One last jab at chapter 13. If Mark was written after the fall of the temple - and the suffering referred to in V. 19  refers to that which was experienced during the temple's (and Jerusalem's) devastation - all of which at least plausible to me. And if this was intended to be the "real" sign of the parousia'a coming as contrasted with the others, which Mark understands as merely the beginnings (V. 8). Then perhaps we can read the passages that are suggesting that the end is not yet as a way of dealing with past (for Mark) disappointments regarding the parousia's delay - which may have been experienced in his communities history. Now (for Mark)m the destruction ( or even the eminent destruction) of the temple suggests the real end. As if he were saying, "I know that you all thought it was going to happen in the past, and it didn't. This time, however, prophesy is fulfilled, and it will really happen. In other words a way of legitimizing what may of been de-legitamized by previous disappointments.
Does that make sense?
Any comments?

Peace.

  • Chapter 13 (more?!?...), Steve Black, 01/15/2001