gmark - Re: Peter's Denial

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Professor L.W. Hurtado" <hurtadol AT div.ed.ac.uk>
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Peter's Denial
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 16:36:26 +000

Two short responses to Ron Price's latest:
--With most (?) scholars, I do not take the "Fayyum Fragment" to
be a portion of Mark, but assume it to be something else. [By the
way, it is very interesting that it is a portion of a scroll, not a codex,
for the latter was much preferred by early Christians for biblical
texts.]
--If, as Price proposes, an alleged interpolation of Mark 14:28 took
place within the first 10-15 yrs after GMark's composition, i.e., so
early that it was already there in the copies used by Matt & Luke,
this means that the only basis for judging the conjectural
emendation is our larger reading of GMark, esp. in this case our
sense of how the author intended to treat Peter (and the 12). Ron
Price is confident in his reading of GMark as originally simply
intending denigation. I do not share his confidence in this reading
of GMark. It would require of an advocate of either reading more
detailed argumentation than can be given here without abusing the
protocols of this list. My aim has been simply to indicate that
there are problems with the conjecture that 14:28 and 16:7 are
secondary interpolations.
Larry Hurtado

L. W. Hurtado
University of Edinburgh,