freetds - [freetds] Remote connection

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Igor Korot <ikorot01 AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] Remote connection
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2016 23:21:56 -0400

Hi, list,
This is my first post here with the question and I'm sure it is a
stupid question.
But unfortunately I have absolutely 0 experience with DB Administration.

I installed SQL Server 2012 Express on my Windows 8.1 laptop, and I am able to
connect to it from the localhost using ODBC connection from Server Management
Studio.

Now I'm trying to get connection from the Linux machine with freeTDS.
I currently have 0.91 installed on my Linux box (Gentoo) which is latest.
I can successfully ping both ways by IP address. However when I try to
run "busybox telnet 192.168.1.4 1433" the machine just sits there.
There is no FW running on the Windows box at the moment for the testing
purposes.

Since ping works and I can access the web I presume that the network is set
up properly.

So now my question is: is there an option in MS SQL to tell it to accept
remote
connections?

Thank you for any pointers.