freetds - Re: [freetds] SQL Server Availability Groups

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Alistair Roberts <alistair.roberts AT ladbrokes.com.au>
  • To: "'FreeTDS Development Group'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] SQL Server Availability Groups
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 09:52:04 +1000 (EST)

-----Original Message-----
From: FreeTDS [mailto:freetds-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of
Frediano Ziglio
Sent: Friday, 20 March 2015 8:25 PM
To: FreeTDS Development Group

<alistair.roberts AT ladbrokes.com.au>:
> Hi,
>

> Does FreeTDS support SQL 2014 Availability Groups?

No, but it's open source so adding it would be good.

> We are looking at migrating from SQL 2008 to SQL 2014 and then use
> Availability Groups for the databases.
>

> Ideally we are looking at using a sole IP but we may need to go with
> the multi-subnet approach for the AG listener.

Do you have any details of the protocol and how does it work?

The availability group has a listener IP and port (often 1433) that SQL
connections are directed to. It is possible to have read only replicas of
the same database. So if a connection has ReadIntent in the connection
string it will go to a read only version.

> Are there any compatibility issues with FreeTDS and SQL 2014?

No, the protocol used won't be the last but no compatibility problems known.

> Regards
>

> Alistair Roberts

Frediano