freetds - Re: [freetds] db-lib: support for new MS SQL 2008 data types - part 3

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddy77 AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] db-lib: support for new MS SQL 2008 data types - part 3
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 09:54:18 +0100

>>> May be, I have never used bcp_* functions ;-)
>>>

>> I'll fix it. It's a quite different code path compared to the one you
>> are working on. But is still related to same data types.

>>> Exactlly!
>>> It is main reason why I am still speaking about TDS_DATETIMEALL ;-)
>>> And as I already wrote because of similarity of:
>>> SQL Server libTDS DB-Lib
>>> datetime -> TDS_DATETIME == DBDATETIME
>>> smalldatetime ->TDS_DATETIME4 == DBDATETIME4
>>>
>>> I will be happy also with SQL_TIMESTAMP_STRUCT (or other struct), to be
>>> public structure for these new date time data types, but IMO then this
>>> struct must be used also internaly by libTDS to store values in record
>>> buffer. Because if libTDS will continue use TDS_DATETIMEALL then it will
>>> significantly complicate things on db-lib level. (as there will be
>>> required
>>> conversion in many places)
>>>

>> Well.. TDS_DATETIME4 and TDS_DATETIME have same representation of wire
>> bytes (unless bit endian is different) and are documented in dblib.
>> TDS_DATETIMEALL is neither wire neither documented (so no ABI).
>> Unfortunately dbdata wants a binary representation of each data.
>> ctlib... I don't remember. ODBC either wants a bind or data get read
>> into user provided buffers (SQLGetData). Actually ODBC have separate
>> types for each MS type. The reason I added this libTDS type is that is
>> easier during the conversion to have a single type to work with.
>>

> I agree with this "single type"
>

>> Another reason is while wire for all date types are quite easy to put
>> directly into a structure these new types are quite different. The
>> size of date is 3 bytes so computers cannot handle directly (you need
>> to stick the 3 bytes into a single 32 bit integer) while seconds and
>> fraction size are from 3 to 5 bytes (same problem). This is the reason
>> for the two time and date fields. Obviously to store 5 bytes we need
>> at least a 8 byte integer. Somebody could say that an 8 bytes integer
>> is enough (3+5 = 8) and it's true but all datetime structure keeps
>> date and time separate and mostly of the time this would lead to just
>> some extra multiplication/division. Another thing about date. The zero
>> from the wire represent a date like 1-1-0... now, gregorian calendar
>> (the one we use) was introduced in 1592 so before they have different
>> calendar (month days and months order changed). So this zero is quite
>> artificial. This is why I preferred to set zero for this structure to
>> 1-1-1900. About seconds wire send the number with precision so
>> 00:00:01 is 1 for TIME(0) and is 100 for TIME(2). Actually the
>> structure always set this number as precision was 7. About bit fields.
>> These mainly are reduntant as they came directly from the type. They
>> are not on the data wire (precision is a field in the metadata), this
>> is similar to scale/precision for numeric data (which are in metadata
>> while we copy in libTDS data).

> [...]

Quite similar:

typedef struct
{
TDS_UINT8 time;
TDS_INT date;
TDS_SMALLINT offset;
TDS_USMALLINT time_prec:3;
TDS_USMALLINT _res:10;
TDS_USMALLINT has_time:1;
TDS_USMALLINT has_date:1;
TDS_USMALLINT has_offset:1;
} TDS_DATETIMEALL;

I think I'll go with this. time with fixed precision is ok for me.
I think we agree to:
- have a single structure
- add _res field and change precision bits (structure above)
- have time with fixed precision

I'm not quite sure about date offset.

Frediano