freetds - Re: [freetds] dbdataready?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Marc Abramowitz <msabramo AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] dbdataready?
  • Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 09:05:55 -0700

An update for anyone who's interested.

I realized that dbpoll and dbdataready are not the droids that I'm looking
for.

What I wanted to do was make pymssql work nicely with gevent; that is to
yield control to other greenlets (coroutines) after issuing a query and
waiting for I/O to come back from the server. This allows the program to do
useful work while waiting for results from the database, including but not
limited to issuing more queries and having them run in parallel rather than
serially.

dbpoll or dbdataready would've allowed this but they would've required the
app to have a polling loop where it polls for results from the server and
yields control if there aren't.

I can achieve the goal of making pymssql a good cooperative citizen without
polling by simply using dbiordesc from FreeTDS. This gives me the file
descriptor of the socket that FreeTDS is waiting on. I can take this and
pass it to gevent.socket.wait_read and that's it. Gevent will suspend my
greenlet and resume it at some point after data has arrived on the file
descriptor. From some basic testing, this appears to work quite nicely and
allows me to write simple programs that issue multiple slow queries in
parallel.

So I don't think that I have a use case for dbpoll and dbdataready anymore.
It appears that you can do async without having these, if you already have
an async engine that allows you to wait on a file descriptor.

Marc