freetds - [freetds] Unicode problem

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Vano Beridze <vano.beridze AT silkroad.ge>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] Unicode problem
  • Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 14:56:54 +0400

Hello,

I've got windows 7 machine that runs SQL Server Express 2008 R2.
I've some table with nvarchar field that contains unicode data.

Another linux (CentOS 6.4) machine runs Apache 2.2 with php 5.3.3.
freetds version is 0.91

This is the /etc/freetds.conf file
[global]
# TDS protocol version
tds version = 8.0
port = 1433
client charset = UTF-8
# Whether to write a TDSDUMP file for diagnostic purposes
# (setting this to /tmp is insecure on a multi-user system)
dump file = /tmp/freetds.log
debug flags = 0x4fff

# Command and connection timeouts
timeout = 180
connect timeout = 180

# If you get out-of-memory errors, it may mean that your client
# is trying to allocate a huge buffer for a TEXT field.
# Try setting 'text size' to a more reasonable limit
text size = 20971520

I've created simple php script that connects to sql server and reads data from that table (actually there is a view to hide unnecessary fields)

Here is the php script
<?php
echo "<html><head>";
echo '<meta http-equiv="Content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />';
echo "</head>";
echo "<body>";
echo "<h1>Hello</h1>";
$connect = odbc_connect("server", "someuser", "somepass");

if (!$connect) {
echo '<h3 color="red">Could not connect to the database!!!</h3>';
die();
}

# query the users table for all fields
$query = "SELECT odf_address FROM dbo.odf";

# perform the query
$result = odbc_exec($connect, $query);

# fetch the data from the database
while(odbc_fetch_row($result)) {
#$field1 = odbc_result($result, 1);
$field2 = odbc_result($result, 1);
#echo $field1;
#echo "<br>";
echo $field2;
echo "<br>";
}

# close the connection
odbc_close($connect);
echo "</body></html>";
?>

The script works fine. it connects and gets the data. The only problem I have is that data is shown as question marks, so it's not converted to UTF-8. I've read all the information I could find on the internet but can not solve the problem.

Could you please suggest what's the problem?

--
Vano Beridze
Software Developer