freetds - [freetds] Best way to get FreeTDS version?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Marc Abramowitz <marca AT surveymonkey.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] Best way to get FreeTDS version?
  • Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 15:55:47 +0000

I thought it would be nice to have a function in pymssql that prints out the
version of FreeTDS in use. This could be useful for troubleshooting as well
as skipping tests that are known to fail with older versions of FreeTDS
(e.g.: the problem with dbrpcparam with wide strings that I posted about in
another thread --
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/freetds/2013q1/028272.html).

My first attempt was to use the function tds_get_compiletime_settings. That
didn't work because that symbol is private in libsybdb. I wonder if it makes
sense to make it global?

What I ended up doing was using the ct_config function — unfortunately, this
requiring adding a link with libct (pymssql only linked with libsybdb before)

Is there a better way?

Marc