freetds - Re: [freetds] firewalls (Re: How to specify the local ip address to connect from)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] firewalls (Re: How to specify the local ip address to connect from)
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 08:15:30 -0400

On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 22:23:13 -0500
"Craig A. Berry" <craigberry AT mac.com> wrote:

> And you also assumed it's a single organization that designs the
> architecture of the network and the architecture of the services and
> applications.

Quite so. From time to time questions are asked here that make me
wonder, "But why?". Sometimes by asking I help the person asking to
find an easier way. And sometimes the siituation turns out to be one I
haven't dealt with.

> > I see no reason to have a firewall between a TDS server and client,
>
> I get the feeling that internal firewalls are on the rise, especially
> the ones that do "deep packet inspection."

What was that your said about rational organizations? Back when I was
riding the Pony Express, they told us networks exist to facilitate
communication, not to prevent it.

> > If the reason is "security" then the answer should explain the
> > specific threat, and why ordinary routing rules are insufficient.
>
> I suspect there are piles of whitepapers that attempt to do just that
> but it's not something I've ever looked into.

That may be. I approach security policies skeptically because in
general they follow a feasibilty gradient: the policy in force is that
which is technically feasible. We control what we can because we can,
nothing more.

--jkl

  • Re: [freetds] firewalls (Re: How to specify the local ip address to connect from), James K. Lowden, 11/01/2012