freetds - Re: [freetds] FreeTDS Source Availability

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] FreeTDS Source Availability
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 18:30:23 -0400

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 16:40:11 -0400
"Thompson, Mike" <thompsonmike AT aecl.ca> wrote:

> Be forewarned: this question is from someone new to Open Source.

Welcome. Come in and warm yourself up.

> Because we are implementing a unidirectional gateway, we require all
> the source code, to assure ourselves that there are no security leaks
> or deliberately malicious code.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.

> Is the source code available for all components in the FreeTDS
> offering?

It's a source code library. You can't use it unless you compile it,
and you can't compile it unless you have the source code. If in the
process of reviewing the source code for quality assurance purposes you
come across some that doesn't exist, that would present a problem. But
I wouldn't expect that to happen. ;-)

Not only is the source code available, but the terms of the LGPL -- the
license that governs the code -- anyone one distributing compiled code
linked to FreeTDS must provide the recipient with a copy of the version
of FreeTDS that was used, and must provide for the recipient to replace
that version with another.