freetds - Re: [freetds] blk_textxfer

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: jklowden AT schemamania.org
  • To: Zhongming cai <caizjh AT yahoo.co.uk>, FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] blk_textxfer
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 15:20:46 -0500

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 09:50:16AM +0000, Zhongming cai wrote:

> I need some help on how to implemente the blk_textfer in freetds ctlib. ...
> Can someone point me some directions on how I should accomplish this?

Hello David,

We have no working function similar to blk_textfer() in any library. The
closest we have dbmoretext(). A patch to support it would be most welcome.

You will need for reference:

1. Sybase's latest TDS documentation
2. Sybase's OpenClient library

and

3. tcpdump
4. ribo
5. patience

There are bulk copy tests in src/ctlib/unittests. I would link them to
Sybase's library and make sure they work as-is. Then modify one to use
blk_textfer(). Capture the stream with tdsdump and ribo, then explain it to
yourself using the documentation. Your job is to reproduce their stream.

Your implementation would be called tds_blk_textfer() in src/tds/bulk.c.
blk_textfer() would be a wrapper in src/blk.c. Ideally, tds_blk_textfer()
could be used to implement the db-lib bcp_moretext() function, too.

Feel free to post here if you have more questions.