freetds - [freetds] unhelpful error messages

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: christos AT zoulas.com (Christos Zoulas)
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] unhelpful error messages
  • Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 13:38:32 -0500

Hi,

Getting something like:

Msg 20009, Level 9, State -1, Server OpenClient, Line -1
Unable to connect: Adaptive Server is unavailable or does not exist
There was a problem connecting to the server

is not very helpful. Was the server down? Did name resolution fail?
What was the name of the server? I understand that in the name of
compatibility we follow the original messages, and that a more
detailed error message can be found in the log, but would it be
too controvercial to at least append to the error something like:

if (errnum)
append("Operating System specific error: %s\n", strerror(errnum));

christos