freetds - Re: [freetds] TDSEVERDOWN rollback

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] TDSEVERDOWN rollback
  • Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2011 00:07:07 -0000

On Fri, 1 Apr 2011 15:43:57 +0200
Frediano Ziglio <freddy77 AT gmail.com> wrote:

> I just put a small fix to avoid core if code call tdserror(...
> TDSEVERDOWN...) using dblib but I realized that perhaps it's better to
> rollback or at least comment this error.

Hi Freddy,

Thank you for fixing that. I meant to, you know. :-)

I think we should keep it, and I'll tell you why. Let's say you're
testing (or think you're testing)

$ TDSVER=7.2 tsql ....

and varchar(max) keeps getting turned into text. Unless you use
TDSDUMP and watch the log carefully, you'll miss the fact that the
library quietly used 7.1 instead.

Anyone who doesn't like the message can configure the connection for
TDS 7.1. Everyone has a right to expect that a correct freetds.conf
(etc.) will result in using the specified protocol version. If the
library's going to do something different -- even for good reason -- it
should say so.

Yes, it's nonstandard. But, after all, the vendors don't need it. And
maybe someday we won't, either.

Regards,