freetds - [freetds] hiding username / password info from ps

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: a g <mewalig AT gmail.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] hiding username / password info from ps
  • Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 16:52:37 -0400

Hi,

one of the problems I have had using freebcp is that if a job takes a while
to run, then invoking

freebcp -U username -P password

makes the username and password information open to other users on the
system via a "ps" command.

In order to address this problem, I have made a change to the freebcp.c code
that allows username/password info to be passed via either a file or by
stdin e.g.

/* by file. the file can be restricted so no one else can see it. now a "ps"
command does not show my credentials */
freebcp -u mylogininfo.file ...

/* by stdin. now a "ps" command does not show my credentials */
echo "myusername
mypassword" | freebcp -u - ...

I have googled around and haven't found a better solution to this security
issue than these two approaches. I would like to submit this change to be
included in the "official" freebcp code. thoughts?

Regards,

a g