freetds - [freetds] Translation of strings/literals to varbinary?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Peter C. Norton" <spacey-freetds.org AT ssr.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] Translation of strings/literals to varbinary?
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 18:38:07 -0500

I'm wondering if there is any documentation on the expected behavior
when a prepared statement is passed a representation of a varbinary?
I'm asking because when using perl's DBD::Sybase linked to the sybase
ctlib, I can set up the following prepared statement:

my $sth = $dbh->prepare("SELECT foo_varbinary from db..mapped_value_map
WHERE thing_id = ?");

I can then do the following, all of which return identical rows:
my $vbinary = "00038600be24829d";
$sth->execute(pack('H*', $vbinary);
or
$sth->exeute($vbinary);
or
$sth->execute("0x" . $vbinary);

However, when using DBD::ODBC via FreeTDS, only the first
representation of the varbinary works. Is this something that
*should* work? Or is the failure of the 2nd and 3rd forms an
oversight? Is there any documentation on what values/representations
should be posible for doing this?

Thanks,

-Peter