freetds - Re: [freetds] Library loading

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Library loading
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 23:36:42 -0400

Richard Gibson wrote:
> Am I right with the following then regarding LGPL and
> not having to release any program I write using the library?:
> 1. Static linking at compile time is NOT permitted
> 2. Dynamic linking at compile time IS permitted
> 3. Runtime loading IS permitted

Well, for legal advice, you want a lawyer, don't you?

As the project's maintainer, though, let me tell you what *I* think the
LGPL says, because I'm part of the hold-feet-to-fire process when it comes
to that!

Runtime loading imposes no LGPL constraints on your program.

Static or dynamic doesn't matter. As the License says:

"When a program is linked with a library, whether statically or using
shared library, the combination of the two is legally speaking a combined
work, a derivative of the original library."

In both cases you're linking to the library and as such are bound by the
LGPL.

However: that doesn't mean your code has to be open source (even if that
would be a good idea). You just have to provide a way for your
distributees -- people to whom you provide binaries -- to re-link your
program using later or modified versions of FreeTDS. Re-link, not
re-compile. As long as your application is provided as a set of object
files, you're good with the LGPL.

You don't have to include a copy of FreeTDS with your program as far as
I'm concerned. I figure anyone who wants it can get it easily most days.
But a pointer to the website and an offer to help would be in the spirit
of things.

Oh, and one more thing: You have to prominently mention you use FreeTDS
and explain how the user can incorporate a new/modified version of FreeTDS
in your application. Words to the effect of "This product would not be
possible without FreeTDS" would be a fine start. IMO.

But my best advice, really, is to do what I did: read the LGPL yourself,
several times. Struggle with it. It's trying to tell you something as
plainly as lawyers can. It was not all clarity and light my first time
through, but I think I get it now. You can do the same, and then you'll
know.

HTH.