freetds - Re: [freetds] Empty string in db-lib

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Empty string in db-lib
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 21:24:15 -0400

Damien Churchill wrote:
> Is it possible to send an empty string as a parameter when making rpc
> calls? All my efforts so far seem to result in the parameter ending up
> being NULL when doing a trace on the server!

It works. Cf. src/dblib/unittests/rpc.c.

I modified the .c and .sql of the unit test report errors if the NULL
inputs don't arrive as NULL. You might find the lastest revision a little
clearer.

http://manuals.sybase.com/onlinebooks/group-cnarc/cng1110e/dblib/@Generic__BookTextView/34413;pt=39614

According to Sybase, "If the value of the RPC parameter is NULL, pass
datalen as 0, even if type is a fixed-length datatype." That's what the
unit test does, and the server recognizes them as NULL.

HTH.