freetds - Re: [freetds] Windows authentication on Windows

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Windows authentication on Windows
  • Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 14:44:28 -0500

James K. Lowden wrote:
> Frediano Ziglio wrote:
> > I noted you committed a patch for getopt support under systems
> > which don't have getopt however getopt.c is currently under a BSD
> > license which is not LGPL compatible leading to licenses problems (for
> > instance tsql using such file should output some additional comments
> > aboud BSD code).
>
> You mean this:
>
> * 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
> * notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in
> the * documentation and/or other materials provided with the
> distribution.
>
> I think all we need to do is add those things to the UG. Not hard, and
> lets us use other parts of NetBSD, too, if we want to.

* src/replacements/getopt.c: replaced getopt with LGPL version

Could you please revert this change?

I guess I wasn't clear. I prefer the NetBSD code -- it is cleaner and
easier to read and already compiles with VS 2005 -- and I'm willing to
make the necessary changes to conform to the terms of the BSD license.

The license doesn't require any changes to our code. The English may be a
little confusing because it seems to say "binary form must reproduce above
copyrights". But what it actually says is "Redistributions in binary form
must reproduce" A, B, and C "in the documentation". Not e.g. on the
screen with a -v option.

If you don't believe me, cf. ftp.exe from Windows. Run strings on it and
you'll see the Berkeley copyright. But it's quite difficult to find any
other mention of it mention it.

I'm updating the UG today and can easily add a note about the UC Berkeley
copyright.