freetds - Re: [freetds] Hiding password in bsqldb [NC]

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Cedric ROUVRAIS <cedric.rouvrais AT sgcib.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Hiding password in bsqldb [NC]
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 14:32:37 -0400

Hi Modesto,

The issue here that you need to think about is that many people send to
isql a specified set of commands. Thought will have to be given as to how
this change will affect behaviour :o)

I can compile for linux server if you wish, the only caveat is that my
version of bsqldb is different from the current trunk as I have changed to
make it identical Sybase ISQL as we are migrating from Sybase to SQL
Server.

a++ Cedric

|------------------------------
| Modesto Sevilla
| <mpsevill AT uci.edu
| >
| Sent by:
| freetds-bounces@l
| ists.ibiblio.org
|

| 08/18/2009 01:39
| PM
|

| Please respond to
| FreeTDS
| Development Group
| <freetds AT lists.ib
| iblio.org>

cc

Subject
[freetds] Hiding password
in bsqldb

Hello,
I had been searching for a solution to pass in the password to
bsqldb and freebcp from an encrypted file which would not be displayed
by using ps while the job is running. I found that someone was looking
for the same solution but there was no concrete solution. While
studying the code in freebcp.c I saw an undocumented feature that
actually does the trick. You can use -P- and it will read the password
from stdin.

253 case 'P':
254 pdata->Pflag++;
255 if ((strcmp(optarg, "-")) == 0)
{
256 char pwd[255], *nl;
257 memset(pwd, 0, 255);
258 fgets(pwd, 255,
stdin);
259 nl = strchr(pwd,
'\n');
260 if(nl) *nl = '\0';
261 pdata->pass =
strdup(pwd);
262 } else {
263 pdata->pass =
strdup(optarg);
264 }
265 break;

In my shell script now I am able to do this and the password is not
displayed in ps.

#!/bin/sh
getencryptedpw PW | freebcp TABLE out DATFILE -f FMTFILE -S SERVER -U
USERNAME -P-

The password is resolved and piped into freebcp without displaying
through ps.

I am not a C programmer so I was wondering if someone could make the
same change to the other apps such as bsqldb. I was thinking that it
would look something like this in bsqldb:

786 case 'P':
787 got_password = 1;
if ((strcmp(optarg, "-")) == 0) {
char pwd[255], *nl;
memset(pwd, 0, 255);
fgets(pwd, 255, stdin);
nl = strchr(pwd, '\n');
if(nl) *nl = '\0';
DBSETLPWD(login, pwd);
} else {
DBSETLPWD(login, optarg);
}
break;

Just wanted to see what people thought and if they find this useful.
Thank you.

*James K. Lowden* jklowden at freetds.org
<
mailto:freetds%40lists.ibiblio.org?Subject=%5Bfreetds%5D%20Hiding%20password%20in%20fisql%20and%20bsqldb&In-Reply-To=BB433306F449CD42BB0F5A06B2B49D0D24A4F8%40dc1mailbox03.mpls.digitalriver.com

/Mon Dec 22 21:01:59 EST 2008/