freetds - Re: [freetds] NT Authentication Failing for an ODBC-Only Configuration - Revision - Limiting discussion

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddy77 AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] NT Authentication Failing for an ODBC-Only Configuration - Revision - Limiting discussion
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 08:54:57 +0200

2009/7/13 Gil Darves <gil AT darves.net>:
> I apologize, I am able to connect now using the NT account.

How did you get it ??

> However, I am still curious why the bourne osql utility is failing.
>

> Also, any prior discussions (links) related to benefits of ODBC-combined
> configuration versus ODBC-only? Along this line, any discussions regarding
> best practices related to setting up DSN in a multiple-user environment
> without a gui? Can a Global DSN be contemplated? Or should each user use the
> odbcinst utility?

combined is useful if you have different client using different
libraries. This about PHP with mssql extension and an odbc program,
you can have odbc.ini pointing to the same freetds.conf configuration.
Obviously if you have only odbc using odbc.ini only is cleaner.
Somebody also think that all informations should be keep in the same
location so you have also odbc.ini-less configuration. Well... user
configurations reside in ~/.odbc.ini while global reside in
/etc/odbc.ini (or /usr/local/etc/odbc.ini... in a system location).
Personally I rarely use odbcinst