freetds - Re: [freetds] How to specify uid and pwd in odbc.ini?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Kulik, Scott" <SKulik AT severstalna.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] How to specify uid and pwd in odbc.ini?
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 14:15:01 -0400

This is what I use:

[PSQL]
Description = CAPS
Driver= PostgreSQL
Trace = No
TraceFil = /tmp/odbc.log
Database = Anneal
Servername = 192.168.1.100
Username = user
Password = pass
Port = 5432
ReadOnly = No

Scott K

-----Original Message-----
From: freetds-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:freetds-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Marten Lehmann
Sent: Tuesday, July 07, 2009 1:36 PM
To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: [freetds] How to specify uid and pwd in odbc.ini?

Hello,

a lot of drivers allow to specify the user id and password to connect to

a database in the odbc.ini. The benefit is, that you can have a local
odbc.ini containing all required values to access a database so you
don't have to update changes of connection parameters at more than one
place resp. not in the source code of an application.

But I haven't found a way to provide uid and pwd for freetds within the
odbc.ini. No matter if I call the parameters uid, userid or user and pwd

or password, freetds simply ignores them and requires them to be
specified in the connection string.

Is there any way to improve this and move it all into one place in the
odbc.ini?

If not, then why not? Storing uid/pwd in a local .odbc.ini or any other
place specified by defining $ODBCINI is not more or less secure than
specifying it in a separate config file that is parsed by the
application or hardcoded in the application.

Kind regards
Marten