freetds - Re: [freetds] I'm having a crashing problem with FreeTDS under OSX

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Daniel Parnell <me AT danielparnell.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] I'm having a crashing problem with FreeTDS under OSX
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 13:15:48 +1100

On 15/03/2009, at 6:55 AM, Frediano Ziglio wrote:

2009/3/8 Daniel Parnell <me AT danielparnell.com>:
Hi James,

I uncompressed a fresh copy of FreeTDS and ran the odbc unit tests, 10 of
which failed, although I suspect most of them could be because of SQL Server
2008.

Mmmm... I think some are caused from different DM (I personally tests
with unixODBC) and too strict tests (some test ran successfully under
Windows some time ago but now they aren't cause minimal bahavior
changes in MS ODBC drivers)

There were two bus errors however.

I think our unitests code cause the problem (two tests use similar
code) but I would fix them. Could you send a backtrace with your
preferred debugger?

I'll see what I can get done tonight.

Please find attached a copy of the output

I also had a poke around with nm and as far as I can see everything should
be working correctly.
There isn't anything obviously wrong that I can see.

Incidentally I'm running ruby 1.8.6 (Enterprise Ruby actually). Initially I
tried using the build in ruby that comes with OS X and when I got problems I
thought I'd somehow messed up the OS X ruby installation.

The really bizarre thing is that I've set up 5 or so Macs over the last
couple of years and never hit anything like this.
Still, it's working now...

very strange... is it working with your change to strdup and asprintf
or without?

On all the previous installs I've done, they've been stock standard installs. No patching has been necessary.
That's the really odd thing about it all. I would have thought that I would have seen this problem earlier.

On this machine it will only work if I patch the FreeTDS driver.
I've put the patched version up on GitHub http://github.com/dparnell/freetds/tree/master if anybody is interested.

Daniel