freetds - Re: [freetds] problem with ct_dynamic(....CS_PREPARE...) against SQL Server 2005

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] problem with ct_dynamic(....CS_PREPARE...) against SQL Server 2005
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 19:38:33 -0500

ocfs2 AT asset-control.com wrote:
> This works fine with a Sybase ASE 12.5 backend, using tds version 5.0
> However it fails with SQL Server 2005, using tds version 8.0.

ct-lib relies on server-side support to determine the SQL datatype of the
placeholder variable. Sybase provides such support, Microsoft does not.
Thus ct-lib placeholders don't work with Microsoft servers and TDS 7.0+.

>From time to time people come up with ways to make it work, either by
parsing the SQL or by modifying the API. In the meantime, we really
should emit an error message.

> According to the API documentation, ct_dynamic() is fully supported.

Well, "supported" has a very limited meaning in an open source project.

I'm sorry you were misled . There's no way api_status.txt can express the
status accurately in its current form.  I'll add a note to BUGS.