freetds - Re: [freetds] FreeTDS works with Kronolith Calendar Application?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] FreeTDS works with Kronolith Calendar Application?
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 00:07:27 -0500

Rakesh Desai wrote:

> Many times clients complain getting following message on the UI:
>
> "The preferences backend is currently unavailable and your preferences
> have not been loaded. You may continue to use the system with default
> settings"

I find nothing amiss in the log. No error messages from the server, no
misuse of the library. But there is some odd behavior from the
application.

About 3/4 through the log,h, after the application finishes processing the
last row of a query, it calls dbcancel(). Now, it's a *little* odd to
issue a cancel when there's nothing left to process, but OK.

dblib.c:1670:leaving dbnextrow() returning NO_MORE_ROWS
dblib.c:2741:dbcancel(067E6E50)
query.c:1882:tds_send_cancel: not in_cancel and idle
dblib.c:941:dbcmd(067E6E50, SELECT top 1 * FROM mdl_context WHERE
contextlevel
= '10')

The application plows on ahead. (I imagine dbcancel() returns SUCCEED
because the session is idle.)

It goes on like this for the rest of the log, until the application closes
the connection:

$ grep -n dbcancel /tmp/TDSDUMP.TXT ; wc -l /tmp/TDSDUMP.TXT
19696:dblib.c:2741:dbcancel(067E6E50)
19903:dblib.c:2741:dbcancel(067E6E50)
20327:dblib.c:2741:dbcancel(067E6E50)
21595:dblib.c:2741:dbcancel(067E6E50)
22224:dblib.c:2741:dbcancel(067E6E50)
22331:dblib.c:2741:dbcancel(067E6E50)
22542:dblib.c:2741:dbcancel(067E6E50)
22641:dblib.c:2741:dbcancel(067E6E50)
22742:dblib.c:2741:dbcancel(067E6E50)
22953:dblib.c:2741:dbcancel(067E6E50)
23133:dblib.c:2741:dbcancel(067E6E50)
23145:dblib.c:2741:dbcancel(067E6E50)
23341:dblib.c:2741:dbcancel(067E6E50)
24200:dblib.c:2741:dbcancel(067E6E50)
24212:dblib.c:2741:dbcancel(067E6E50)
24762:dblib.c:2741:dbcancel(067E6E50)
25733:dblib.c:2741:dbcancel(067E6E50)
25745:dblib.c:2741:dbcancel(067E6E50)
25913 /tmp/TDSDUMP.TXT

Someone is confused. I can't tell you more than that.

I don't see a TDS problem. I see some evidence of a problem with the
application logic.