freetds - Re: [freetds] Create a shell to get data from SQL Server using FreeTDS

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Create a shell to get data from SQL Server using FreeTDS
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 15:51:56 -0500

Johnny C. Lam wrote:
> FWIW, most standard GNU configure scripts have options that you may want
>
> to adopt into the FreeTDS configure script:
>
> --with-xxx=DIR includes in DIR/include, libs in
> DIR/lib
> --with-xxx-includes=INCDIR includes in INCDIR
> --with-xxx-libraries=LIBDIR libs in LIBDIR
>
> You can just specify --with-xxx=DIR to set the parent directory of the
> headers and libraries directories, and you can override the default
> DIR/include and DIR/lib via --with-xxx-includes and
> --with-xxx-libraries.

Why Johnny Lam! My word, as I live and breath!

Is the 'xxx' literal? If you could point me to an example configure.ac
(perhaps offlist), I'd gladly adopt the convention.

ISTM these are pretty conventional:

$ ./configure --help | grep odbc
--disable-odbc do not attempt to build odbc the driver
--with-iodbc=DIR build odbc driver against iODBC in DIR
--with-unixodbc=DIR build odbc driver against unixODBC in DIR
--with-odbc-nodm=DIR build odbc using headers in DIR/include

although this is a bit of an oddball:

$ ./configure --help | grep 'iconv-prefix\['
--with-libiconv-prefix[=DIR] search for libiconv in DIR/include and
DIR/lib

I'm not so sure about eliminating confusion, though. It's pretty
confusing even to someone who configures packages only occasionally.

Thanks.