freetds - Re: [freetds] Compile Question

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddy77 AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Compile Question
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 08:21:47 +0200

Il giorno dom, 01/06/2008 alle 22.37 -0400, Ian Goldstein ha scritto:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to access an SQL Server from Solaris 5.8 using perl.
> We started with DBD::ODBC, but quickly found out that we do not have the
> necessary drivers to access

FreeTDS provide an ODBC driver, all necessary is DM includes and some
option to configure

> I did a lot or reading and decided to give freetds a try and use my
> DBD::Sybase.
>
> I downloaded version 0.82 of and attempted to compile it using Sunstudio11
> on a solaris 8 platform.
>
> I ran configure as follows CC=cc ./configure --prefix=/tmp/freetds with no
> problems. However, the make seems to choke when linking libct with the
> following error.
>

> usr/ccs/bin/ld -G -M .libs/libct.so.4.0.0.exp -h libct.so.4 -o
> .libs/libct.so.4.0.0 .libs/ct.o .libs/cs.o .libs/blk.o .libs/ctutil.o
> -Wl,-z -Wl,allextract ../tds/.libs/libtds.a
> ../replacements/.libs/libreplacements.a -Wl,-z -Wl,defaultextract -lnsl
> -lsocket -lpthread -lc -Bsymbolic
>
> ld: fatal: option -z has illegal argument `-Wl,allextract'
>
> ld: fatal: option -z has illegal argument `-Wl,defaultextract'

it seems that libtool detect wrong options for your linker...

> ld: fatal: Flags processing errors
>
> *** Error code 1
>
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `libct.la'
>
> Current working directory /tmp/freetds-0.82/src/ctlib
>
> *** Error code 1
>
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-recursive'
>
> Current working directory /tmp/freetds-0.82/src/ctlib
>
> *** Error code 1
>
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-recursive'
>
> Current working directory /tmp/freetds-0.82/src
>
> *** Error code 1
>

> NOTE... I am not a c developer, but I took a shot and looked at the error
> and was able to manually link the code. Then I reverse engineered the
> process to find out what to clean up in the Make file. From there I changed
> a single line in the configure script for the solaris section from
>
> lt_prog_compiler='-Wl' to lt_prog_compiler=''.

well done!
usually gcc pass -Wl,option to linker as option, in this case the linker
is called directly to no -Wl is needed... quite strange.

> I ran make distclean and reran configure and make and it worked.
>
> I ran a test using tsql, but was unable to connect to the Sql Server. I
> will need to wait till Monday to confirm ports and such as this is more for
> a collegue of mine.

If you have another program working you could launch it and run netstat
to detect which port is uses

> I guess, I am wondering if anybody else ran into this? Is this more a
> result of Sunstudio vs. gnu?

I don't remember...

> Thanks in advance... You will more than likely hear from me again :-).
>
> Ian

Regards
Frediano