freetds - [freetds] windows named pipe authentication

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Thomas Stover <thomas AT wsinnovations.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] windows named pipe authentication
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 23:05:54 -0500

OK here's one from left field. I was reading the notes about domain authentication, and how password-less authentication / win32 named pipes connections, would require a lgpl compatible Unix implementation of the smb ipc stuff (at least). Since this is something that really would help me out, I started looking into the issue some more. I have come up with three possible avenues of approach: 1) conceivably using socat & smbclient to forward a tcp port on the loopback adapter to the sql server named pipe. 2) similar except use socat on *nix forward to child ssh that logs into a 'doz box with cygwin sshd, then run socat inside cygwin to forward stdio to the named pipe as a "regular" windows file. 3) write special purpose windows and *nix utilities to forward a tcp (or better yet unix domain socket) connection to the windows sql server named pipe. My main question is this: For the sake of discussion lets say that freetds could interface with a ms sql server over a windows named pipe. How difficult would it be from there? Would this just turn into man-years of examining wireshark dumps (which I noticed will do win named pipes), or is it suppose to be the same wire level protocol?